A permanent hair removal cream, also known as a depilatory cream, offers one of the simplest ways of getting rid of the unwanted hair on your body. There are many types of depilatory creams, each better suited for one task or another. In the following article, we review the best permanent hair removal creams currently available on the market. In our permanent hair removal creams reviews, you will find valuable information on how to use these creams for the best results.
Further in the article, we explain how to differentiate between good and bad depilatory creams, and how to use them safely. Therefore, please do not skip reading our buying guide as it will provide you with valuable information.
- 1 What Is a Depilatory Cream?
- 2 How do Hair Removal Creams Work?
- 3 Are Hair Removal Creams Permanent?
- 4 Why You Need a Depilatory Cream
- 5 Best Permanent Hair Removal Creams Comparison Chart
- 6 Best Permanent Hair Removal Creams Reviews (Updated List)
- 7 Permanent Hair Removal Creams Buying Guide
- 8 Women vs. Men Depilatory Creams. What’s The Difference?
- 9 Are Hair Removal Creams Safe?
- 10 How to Use a Depilatory Cream Safely?
- 11 Is It Better to Shave or Use a Hair Removal Cream? Shaving vs. Hair Removal Creams
- 12 Is It Better to Wax or Use a Hair Removal Cream? Waxing vs. Hair Removal Creams
- 13 Wrap up
What Is a Depilatory Cream?
Depilatory means hair removal and thus, a depilatory cream is basically a hair removal cream. Depilatory creams allow you to get rid of the hairs on your body and face without the pain of pulling and yanking of waxing or epilating, or the cuts and rashes of shaving.
You simply wipe the hair removal cream on the target area of your body and wait for the hair to fall down. When used according to the user’s instructions, it is a completely painless procedure with quick results.
How do Hair Removal Creams Work?
Hair removal creams are made of alkaline chemicals such as sodium hydroxide and these ingredients target and break down the protein structure of the hair. In other words, they break down the keratin in the hair resulting in the base of the hair getting weaker and thinner. Consequently, the weakened hairs break off from close to their roots when the cream is wiped away, leaving you with smooth skin, soft to the touch.
Are Hair Removal Creams Permanent?
Unfortunately, there are no actual permanent hair removal creams in spite of the fact that there are some that claim to be so. Hair removal creams target hair ends close to their roots but do not destroy hair follicles altogether. The bad news is that as long as the hair follicles remain intact, there will be more hair coming.
However, hair removal creams might reduce the thickness of your hair over time and they may increase their growth time. As they break down the keratin in the hair over and over again, you may end up getting thinner and finer hair in the long run, as a result of regular use. Also, since the constant targeting and breaking down will weaken the hair, it will probably take a longer time for them to grow back.
The important point here is that how close to the root does your depilatory cream of choice remove the hair? The closer to the root, the better because as you can guess it will give you smooth skin for longer periods in that case.
Why You Need a Depilatory Cream
- Smooth Skin – One of the benefits of using depilatory creams is that it leaves your skin nice and smooth. Unlike a razor that leaves your skin smooth only for a short while, the depilatory cream will maintain this smoothness over a longer period of time.
- Slower Hair Growth – Most people believe that depilatory cream delays your hair from growing for a period of time. While this is not true, you might wait a long time until you notice your hair growing again. This is because the cream burns your hairs, but it does it closer to the root. The razor will only cut the hair, and it will cut it as it exits the skin. The cream will burn the hair right underneath the skin, so it will take longer for the hair to rise above the skin and become visible.
- Decently Priced – The depilatory cream is not as expensive as trimmers or top-notch epilators for women. It is actually slightly cheaper than a decent razor you could trust to do its job. This makes the depilatory cream one of the cheapest ways to get rid of unwanted hair.
- Easy to Use – Depilatory creams are fairly easy to use. You just have to spread them over the hairy surface, wait for the recommended amount of time, and remove it. Removing hair cannot be easier. Once the cream starts working, you only have to use the provided spatula to wipe it down.
- Low Injury Chances – If you respect the manufacturer’s instructions and you test the cream so you’re sure you’re not allergic to any of its ingredients, the chance of developing a rash or injuring yourself is very slim. You don’t risk cutting or nicking your skin, and there are no chances of your hair getting pulled.
Best Permanent Hair Removal Creams Comparison Chart
Veet Gel Hair Removal Cream
|View On Amazon|
Surgi-Cream Hair Remover for Face
|View On Amazon|
Neomen Hair Removal Cream
|View On Amazon|
Water Ice Levir Depilatory Cream
|View On Amazon|
Nair Hair Removal Lotion
|View On Amazon|
Best Permanent Hair Removal Creams Reviews (Updated List)
1. Veet Gel Hair Removal Cream
Veet Gel Hair Removal Cream has a sensitive formula. Therefore, it is specifically better suited for people with sensitive skin or for use in sensitive areas. The cream comes in a 13.5 oz container as a gel, and it’s very easy to spread onto your skin. Once the gel is applied on your skin, it will remove the hair closer to the root than a razor, so your skin will look smoother for longer.
Veet’s formula includes aloe vera and vitamin e which will leave your skin moisturized after each use. It effectively removes hair in a time as short as only five minutes. Thus, it is a great solution for quick results.
Thanks to its sensitive formula, this depilatory cream can be used with good results in highly sensitive areas, such as the bikini line and the armpits, as well as the arms and legs. However, it’s not recommended for facial hair.
One downside of this product is that it can produce a burning sensation if you leave it on for too long. Respect the manufacturer’s instructions if you want to avoid this sensation.
2. Surgi-Cream Hair Remover for Face
One of the problems most depilatory creams have is that they’re not suitable to be used on your face. Well, Surgi-Cream has developed a depilatory cream with exactly this purpose in mind.
This permanent hair removal cream for face comes in a 1-ounce tube, and the best deal you can find is to buy a pack of three. The cream has a pleasant fresh smell and leaves your face smooth after hair removal.
The cream is very gentle, and it does not produce a burning sensation if you follow the manufacturer’s indications. Make sure you don’t apply the cream on the damaged or irritated skin. It is ideal for removing hair from the upper lip, chin, and cheeks. It works in as fast as 4 minutes, as well.
Besides the depilatory cream itself, the pack contains a free tube of smoothing cream. This cream can be applied directly to the skin after hair removal, and it will lower the chances of developing an irritation, even if you have sensitive skin.
Some customers complained that the results they get from using the cream are not consistent, even though they use it in the same area. To make sure your results are consistent, use a timer to know precisely when to remove the cream.
3. Neomen Hair Removal Cream
Neomen Hair Removal Cream is a perfect those who are looking for a fast, safe, effective, and last longing solution to their unwanted hairs. Its fast action formula works in as short as only five minutes. Moreover, the formula contains aloe vera, vitamin E, and baby oil to leave your skin soft and moisturized after the application. The hair removal close to the roots has a decently long-lasting effect, too. Furthermore, it will leave you with no nicks and bumps but only with a silky smooth skin to the touch.
Neomen Hair Removal Cream comes in a 3.7 fl oz. tube which is a portable size, easy to carry and store away. This depilatory cream is safe to use on the arms, legs, underarms, and the bikini line. On the other hand, it is not recommended to be used on the face.
Neomen can both be used by men and women. So, you can share it with your husband if you like. However, remember to do an allergy test before use by applying the product on a small surface. Do not use it on wounded or inflamed skin, wait for your skin to completely heal before using the product on the damaged area. Always use the dosage on the instructions and do not keep it on your skin for a longer time than recommended, especially on more sensitive areas like the armpits. Some customers have complained about a burning sensation that they did not feel on their arms and legs but on the underarms. Also, wipe the product off with a damp cloth and avoid hard rubbing. Once you are done, rinse the cream thoroughly with water to take it all off.
Even though Neomen comes with a spatula to wipe on your skin, in case you are planning to remove hair from your back you will be needing some help because some users have found the spatula too small to reach there.
4. Water Ice Levir Depilatory Cream
Water Ice Levir Depilatory Cream has a natural formula with glycerin, sucrose stearate, tocopherol, and aloe vera. This gentle formula allows for hair removal closer to the root and leaves your skin stubble-free and moisturized. You can apply Water Ice Levir on the hair on the chest, arms, toes, legs, underarms, and bikini line. Unfortunately, it is not suitable for facial hair.
Dermatologically tested, Water Ice Levir does not contain any allergens and does not cause any bumps or nicks and rashes on the skin. However, it is always a good idea to do a little test on the hands by applying the products on a small area and check whether your skin will react. Many users have commented that the product is completely painless as promised and does not create a burning sensation whatsoever.
Water Ice Levir features a pleasant lavender smell you are most likely to find agreeable. One thing that can be considered as a setback is that due to its natural and mild formula it takes a bit longer than the average depilatory cream to react. You might have to wait around 10 to 20 minutes to see this hair removal cream in action. It might even take longer for those with coarse and thick hair. Therefore, we suggest it to people with fine and thin hair rather than thick or to those who wouldn’t mind waiting a little bit longer for results.
5. Nair Hair Removal Lotion
Nair Hair Removal Lotion is formulated with natural extracts. These natural extracts include Cocoa butter derived from the cocoa beans and Vitamin E. Cocoa Butter is a natural antioxidant with nourishing, hydrating, and anti-aging properties. Its extremely mild formula is non-irritating to the skin and is perfect for those with sensitive skin.
Nair Hair Removal Lotion can be used on legs, arms, armpits, and even private parts but it is not recommended to be used on the face, unfortunately. Also, if you are planning to use it in your private areas, we recommend that you test it on a small area on the side of the bikini line. In spite of the mild and natural formula of the product, private parts are always a bit tricky and testing for burns or irritation is always a good idea to be on the safe side.
It is suitable for the use of both men and women. With Nair, you can get quick results. Depending on the thickness of your hair, it will react within 3 minutes and leave you with smooth skin with a feeling of moisture.
Nair Hair Removal Lotion comes in a 9 oz package and features a nice herbal smell. It will not give you any ingrown hairs, black spots or any other hair removal marks after the hair removal process. All in all, it is a good, safe and effective hair removal product.
Permanent Hair Removal Creams Buying Guide
All depilatory creams are the same, right? Well, that couldn’t be further from the truth. All depilatory creams might work in a similar way, but there are certain differences between them. Some of them are better suited for sensitive areas, while others work best if you use it on large surfaces. But how can you tell which is the best depilatory cream for your needs? In the following section, we explain how to find the right cream for every task;
The first thing you have to think about when you’re buying depilatory cream is how you’re most likely to use it.
Whole Body Creams – Some creams are advertised as well-suited for your whole body. This might apply to some of them, but you should be careful. You can apply only a handful of creams on both your arms and your bikini area without provoking an irritation.
When manufacturers advertise their depilatory creams as being suitable for the whole body, they most likely mean you can use them on your arms, legs, torso, abdomen, and back. You shouldn’t use such creams on your armpits or groin without checking with the manufacturer’s instructions first, to see if that’s advisable. You should never use such creams on your face unless the manufacturer clearly states it’s alright to do so.
Sensitive Creams – Sensitive creams are better suited for people who have sensitive skin, or for those who plan on using the cream on sensitive areas such as the armpits or groin. These depilatory creams are not so aggressive as other models, and they’re better for the skin. Still, if you developed a rash after using another depilatory cream, you should still apply the sensitive model on a small surface on an arm or a leg before you apply it on a sensitive area.
These creams can be used for most of the body, and they might be better suited for your chest and back hair than other models. You can use them on your armpits and bikini areas if the manufacturer’s instructions specify this is OK.
You shouldn’t use this type of creams on your face unless it’s clearly stated it’s alright to do so by the manufacturer.
Face Creams – Face depilatory creams are the least aggressive type of depilatory creams there is. They are user-friendly, and they’re very soft on your skin. These creams are suitable to remove hair from your cheeks, neckline, or mustache. They might be better at these tasks than tweezers and razors, but you should still be careful when you’re using them. Make sure you test the cream on your hand or leg first so you won’t develop an allergic reaction to it. Only after you’re sure no allergic reaction will appear should you apply the creams on your face.
This type of creams usually has soothing agents that will make your face feel nice after the hair removal process. Most of them contain ingredients such as Aloe Vera that will lower the chances of developing a rash.
In short, you should choose a certain type of depilatory cream depending on the area you’re targeting.
Hair Removal Surface
You might be wondering if there’s any point in buying different types of depilatory creams if most of them work in a similar fashion. Well, it’s true that a sensitive depilatory cream will remove the hair from your arms and legs just as well as a whole-body product, but you should also think about the total price of the hair removal process.
Sensitive creams are usually more expensive than whole body creams but are cheaper than the face creams. The price difference is justified by the ingredients the manufacturer can use in such creams. All the ingredients are less aggressive, and they will not burn your hair as rough as those in the other types of cream.
The larger the surface you wish to use the cream for, the better it is to find a suitable cream.
As with every product that you apply on your skin, the safety of the hair removal cream you are planning to use should be 100% safe. It should not contain any carcinogens, allergens, etc. In case you have sensitive skin prone to allergies and rashes, you need to be extra careful.
Before you purchase a product, make sure that you read the ingredients and make sure that the product does not contain any substances that may be harmful to your skin. Depilatory creams that contain aloe vera and vitamin E are often safer since they are gentler on the skin. While removing the hair, they will also be moisturizing your skin, making it less prone to any skin complications.
When you have concentrated on getting rid of all your unwanted hair, the odor of the product you use to reach your target may seem unimportant to you. However, remember that you will actually be wiping that odor all over your skin and an unpleasant smell can be really disturbing. Therefore, try to pick something that smells good, if possible.
Most permanent hair removal creams for women have nice floral odors. However, if you do not like floral scents, there some options on the market with rather fresh odors. It is all about personal taste but just make sure that you do not end up with something that smells so horrible that you will abhor putting it on your skin. The odor of the depilatory cream that you pick should at least be tolerable.
A good permanent hair removal cream should provide you with quick results. By quick results, we mean something as short as 5 minutes. One of the main advantages of using a depilatory cream should be its quick results and therefore something which takes ages to react and remove hair is pointless.
In addition to saving you time, the shorter the cream stays on your skin, the better. They include chemicals after all and the risk of your skin reacting to the cream increases as it is left wiped on your skin for longer periods. Thus, try to pick something that works in an average of 4 to 6 minutes and enjoy the quick results!
Women vs. Men Depilatory Creams. What’s The Difference?
If you went through our list of short reviews, you might have noticed that some depilatory creams are especially better suited for men, and others as being better suited for women. So what’s the difference between the two types of depilatory creams?
Well, the truth is, this is just a marketing technique. The depilatory creams will work in a similar way for both men and women, and in most cases, you will be able to find both genders commenting on the product’s efficiency.
One of the differences you might notice when you buy a gender-specific depilatory cream is the smell. The creams that are advertised for men tend to have a fresher odor, while those advertised for women tend to have a more floral smell.
There is, however, one product that’s specifically designed for a single gender, and that’s the face cream. This type of cream is not suited for men’s coarse facial hair, and it won’t remove the hair in a beard or a mustache. It will remove the thin hairs from a woman’s mustache, but it won’t work on men’s.
Are Hair Removal Creams Safe?
When a person considers using a depilatory cream as a hair removal method, one question immediately pops into mind: Are hair removal creams safe? Depilatory creams are safe to use but only when used correctly. They can badly damage your skin and give you a hard time unless you choose a reputable and safe product and follow the instructions to use it properly. What makes depilatory creams potentially dangerous are the chemicals they contain. Especially if you have sensitive skin, they may cause irritation.
However, you can avoid these unpleasant consequences by taking a few simple precautions. The first thing to do is to buy a product of a reputable and trustworthy brand. Secondly, read the ingredients to see if the product contains any allergens or anything you are allergic to. Always test the product on a small area on your hands, for example, and check if your skin will react badly to the product. Last but not least, always read the instructions and follow them meticulously. Never leave the product on your skin longer than suggested in the instructions and do not use it in excessive amounts.
Furthermore, do not use the product on your face, underarms, or your private areas, for example, if the product instructions do not include these areas. If you want to remove the hair on your face, you should get a hair removal cream formulated specifically for that is. Last but not least, clean your skin thoroughly as suggested after using the depilatory cream so that there is none left to irritate your skin.
If you stick to these suggestions, you should be safe and sound.
How to Use a Depilatory Cream Safely?
If you’ve been looking online for a depilatory cream, you might have noticed there are a lot of people who complain about the burning sensation they experienced when applying this type of cream. Well, in the following section we will explain how to use a depilatory cream safely.
- The first thing you should know is that you don’t need to shower before you use the depilatory cream. In fact, some manufacturers specifically state in their instructions that you should use the cream before showering. The reason behind this is that the oils your body naturally produces were taken into account when the manufacturer developed the cream’s formula. The oils will act as a natural barrier between the skin and the cream, and it will make the cream adhere to the hair follicles.
- You should never use the depilatory cream directly on a large area. It would be better if you tested the cream on a small patch of hair on the back of your hand or on your leg, somewhere it won’t be easily visible. Apply the cream and wait for the recommended period before you use the spatula to remove the hair. Rinse the area and wait for up to 30 minutes to see how your skin behaves. If the test area looks normal, it’s not swollen, itchy, or red, you should continue with applying the cream on a larger surface.
- Don’t apply the cream on a very large surface. Take into account the amount of time you’re going to lose while removing the cream. If you apply the cream on a very large surface, a considerable amount of time will pass until you’ll remove all the cream. This amount of time might be longer than what the manufacturer recommends, so you might experience a burning sensation. In some cases, you might even develop a rash. You don’t need to rush the process. Apply the cream on a small area, remove it, apply it again to another area. Repeat the process until you remove all the hair you wish to get rid of.
- Always respect the manufacturer’s instructions. These instructions not only refer to the amount of time you should wait for the depilatory cream to work, but to the regions you’re allowed to use it as well. You should not use the cream on a surface it’s not meant for. This can lead to rashes, inflammation, redness, and itchiness.
- You should never use a depilatory cream directly on your face unless the manufacturer directly states it’s supposed to be used that way. The skin on your face is much more sensitive than the one on the rest of your body, even more, sensitive than the one on your armpits or belly. Applying rough depilatory cream on your face can lead to swelling and rashes, and you will have a hard time dealing with the burning sensation.
- Leave the depilatory cream in its original container. Even if you accidentally push more cream than you need, don’t try to store it in another container. This can lead to the cream’s deterioration, and it can alter its properties in time, making it unsuitable for use.
Is It Better to Shave or Use a Hair Removal Cream? Shaving vs. Hair Removal Creams
Both electric razors for women and hair removal creams have their pros and cons, of course. Here are some so that you can decide for yourself;
- Hair grows back in about one to two days when you shave since the hair is removed at the surface of the skin while it generally takes about five days with hair removal creams because they remove hair just below the skin surface, closer to the root.
- Both shaving and depilatory creams are pain-free. However, shaving can give you razor burns and some depilatory creams may cause a burning sensation on the skin.
- Both are safe methods. However, shaving has the risk of cuts and nicks whereas there is no such risk with hair removal creams. On the other hand, with hair removal creams you expose your skin to chemicals.
- Shaving often leads to ingrown hairs. With depilatory creams, you will not experience that.
- You need to exfoliate your skin before shaving to prepare it and to avoid any unpleasant consequences like razor bumps. Hair removal creams do not need any preparation.
- Hair removal creams only take about 5 to 10 minutes to act and give you quick results. Shaving usually takes longer, especially shaving the arms and the legs.
- After shaving, you need to moisturize your skin to minimize the risk of irritation and to soften it. Most depilatory creams include moisturizing agents such as aloe vera, baby oil, and vitamin E for that purpose and do not need any further moisturizing after their application.
- Shaving mostly encourages hair to grow thicker and stronger as it cuts and squares off the hair at the base. On the contrary, hair removal creams mostly cause hair to get finer over time since their formula breaks down the protein in the hair, making it get thinner close to the root and weakening it.
Is It Better to Wax or Use a Hair Removal Cream? Waxing vs. Hair Removal Creams
Many people are hesitant when it comes to waxing or using hair removal creams. Well, both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s have a look at waxing vs. depilatory creams so that you will have a better idea;
- Even though depilatory creams remove hair from close to the root, you get about five days until the hair grows back. Waxing removes hair from the very root, the follicle itself so that you get longer-lasting results, up to a month.
- In order to be able to wax, your hair should reach a certain length. If it is too short, the wax cannot get hold of it and pull it out. Therefore, you need to wait between waxing sessions and grow your hair to an adequate length. Depilatory creams, however, can get rid of hairs of all lengths.
- Depilatory creams have a lower chance of causing ingrown hairs due to the way they remove the hair. With waxing, on the other hand, experiencing ingrown hairs is a highly common issue.
- Hair removal creams include chemicals to dissolve the proteins in the hair. On the other hand, waxes are all-natural materials that do not present any harm to your skin health and balance.
- Depilatory creams are scented. In spite of the fact that some have quite pleasing odors like floral or fresh scents, many of them smell like chemicals or have other odious scents. Also, there are many people who do not find floral or fresh scents pleasing and would prefer something completely odorless. Conversely, most waxes are odorless.
- Even the best waxing kits for hair removal sometimes cause irritation on the skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. Similarly, hair removal creams sometimes cause similar reactions unless they have natural and mild formulas.
- Waxing is quite a painful process. Actually, it is one of the most painful hair removal methods. On the contrary, hair removal creams are completely painless to apply.
- Hair removal creams are very simple and easy to apply and do not require any special skills to do so. They usually take around 5 to 10 minutes to act. Waxing, on the other hand, is quite a long process that requires exertion and skill.
We’re certain that after reading our permanent hair removal cream reviews, you have understood that they actually do not give you 100% permanent results. What they can give you at most is the joy of long intervals of hair-free skin. Also, you probably are now able to tell which product is better suited for your skin and your needs. Keep in mind that the best depilatory cream is not the most expensive one. It’s the one that will target exactly the area you wish to remove hair from and act safely and rapidly.
Having read our short instructions, you should also be ready to apply a depilatory cream safely on your body. Remember that these creams are not difficult to use. However, you should always check with the manufacturer’s instructions just to make sure you’re on the safe side. Enjoy your hair-free days!